Uncharacteristically, I planned this project carefully:
- a broad vee with a divided dark green below the wings and yellow above the wings.
- The point of the vee should be at the three quarters point, not in the middle
- down the middle from front to yellow is some tan/light brown for the road
- dots of green and blue to be leaves
watercolor pencil – add details
- leaves, stones, mushrooms, grass
ink – draw outlines (and possibly shading) and possibly a frame
Excerpts from my art Journal (I started an art journal!):
– I made underpainting planned above. I am less controlled than it is in my mind. I had a hard time keeping things as light as what is in my head. For next time: use a plastic lid as a palette so that I can keep things lighter.
– added watercolor pencil to the landscape drawing. Remembered what I don’t like about landscapes – there is too much stuff.
– watered the pencil drawing and started adding ink to it. I very much liked the way the trees looked in the distance before inking but, when inking the leaves, made a decision to go all the way. In for a penny, in for a pound.
– I finished inking this Saturday. The inking is a laborious process and – for something this intense – would be better done in shorter sessions. My teeth hurt!
– I am happy with this process and fairly happy with the result. I want to try it again with single subject and get better.