- the art and craft of befriending your experience
- mindfulness based: befriending yourself
- 20 quotes about befriending yourself
Philosophical musing: Are you a body with a mind or a mind with a body? – Maryam Alimardani
what is an art Journal? (Mindful Arts Studio)
Susan Piver– weekly meditation videos and an online meditation community
body scan from Palouse Mindfulness MBSR (Mindfulness-based stress reduction)
loving kindness meditation from Greater Good in Action
Your aging body is a great read, TED talk by Pat Samples
Simple practices from Rick Hanson, PhD. Note, especially, the At Home in Your Body section.
mindfulness and diet – Jeanfain.com – Harvard Medical School faculty member working with self-compassion and body image.
Body & Media Lab – Renée Engeln – Northwestern University researcher working with body image. Author of Beauty Sick.
Additional body-based journaling prompts
- Dialogue with your inner child by writing in your sub dominant hand
- list 10 things for which you are grateful
- draw or write a self-portrait, capturing yourself at this moment
- list 10 things you like about your body
- go outside and watch a creature. What can you learn about your body?
- List 20 ways in which your body has been/is a success
- sing along to some music
- put on some music and dance
- think about an issue in your life; write about it in the third person
- record a dream and dialogue with it
- dialogue with a person from the past (or your past)
- dialogue with an emotion
- dialogue with an illness
- dialogue with your body
- Where are you feeling tension in your body? Write a dialogue with that area.
- Write about your earliest body memory.
- Write about your favorite body part.
- What is your favorite smell? Describe where and how you last smelled it.
- What do you remember your mother/father saying about her/his body?
Simple practices from Rick Hanson, PhD. Note, especially, the Being a Friend to Yourself section.
Our brains and stories
Befriending the Mind Blog Posts
- Befriending the Mind 1 – Just for Today
- Befriending the Mind 2 – Skillful Means
- Befriending the Mind 3 – Radical Acceptance
- newsletter: gently, patiently
Befriending Your Journey blog posts
The Road to Resilience (American Psychological Association)